Columbus is the capital of the state of Ohio in the United States of America.
Mayor: Andrew J. Ginther – https://www.columbus.gov/mayor/Office-of-the-Mayor/
Population: 822,550 (2013)
Columbus is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S., with a vibrant blend of arts and culture and an open, entrepreneurial spirit. With a reviving downtown, lively urban districts and a diverse array of welcoming neighborhoods, the city is a great place to live, visit, work, raise a family and do business.
Columbus is a place where knowledge is revered, encouraged and celebrated. Its youthful, progressive spirit is fueled by one of the largest college student populations in the nation who attend more than 60 college and university campuses. The Columbus Region has one of the highest populations of college students in the U.S. The Ohio State University has more than 57,000 students at its main campus and offers 200 undergraduate majors and more than 250 graduate and professional degree programs. Columbus State Community College is the largest community college in Ohio and among the largest in the nation.
Leading research and technical institutions, including two of the world’s leading private research institutions, also draw the best and brightest minds to the Columbus Region.
- Battelle is the world’s largest private, non-profit research institution. Battelle serves the national security, health and life sciences and energy and environmental industries.
- Chemical Abstract Services hosts the largest collection of information on chemicals and molecular science in the world.
- The Ohio State University’s annual research expenditure exceeds $967 million.
- The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, one of the fastest growing pediatric research centers in the United States
Columbus has an open-minded approach to life, business and ideas. Its progressive attitude has attracted a diverse population that gives the city texture and a rich mix of cultural assets. Its people, businesses and neighborhoods exemplify the philosophy that Columbus is open to all, creating an environment that encourages innovation, taking risks and thinking big.
Vibrant and progressive, Columbus’ dynamic yet stable economy is the envy of many other U.S. and international cities. Its collaborative business environment makes it a place where entrepreneurs can take risks, and small businesses and major corporations can thrive – earning it the distinction as one of the top metros for job creation. As Ohio’s capital, Columbus provides proximity to powerful government leaders, legislators and influencers who are instrumental in shaping business and economic policy.
The Columbus Region is home to 4 Fortune 500 and 15 Fortune 1,000 companies. Major corporate headquarters in Columbus: Abercrombie & Fitch, American Electric Power, Big Lots, Cardinal Health, DSW, Express, Greif, Hexion, Huntington, L Brands, Mettler-Toledo, Nationwide, Scotts, Wendy’s and Worthington Industries.
For more information visit:
Every year Greater Columbus welcomes 37.6 million visitors, who spend more than $5.7 billion in our community. They discover a vibrant arts scene, lively urban neighborhoods and a diverse array of entertainment, sports, dining, nightlife and shopping that keeps visitors coming back again and again. Independent national rankings have cited Columbus for having the #1 zoo (Columbus Zoo and Aquarium), the #1 science center (COSI) and even the #1 ice cream (Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams). And, Columbus is emerging as a culinary capital and a fashion mecca.
Columbus’ Most Popular Neighborhoods for Visitors:
- Short North and Victorian Village – art galleries, restaurants and bars, monthly Gallery Hop, Goodale Park
- German Village – German Village Society & Meeting Haus, Book Loft, Schiller Park, restaurants, great destination for a neighborhood walk
- Discovery District – Columbus Museum of Art, College of Art & Design, Columbus Metropolitan Library, Topiary Park
- Olde Towne East
Hotels, dining, attractions, transportation and events
Events, nightlife, dining, music, arts, shopping and entertainment
- columbusalive.com (weekly magazine available at businesses throughout the city)
Visual and performing arts
- Top 10 Arts & Culture Institutions in Columbus (Columbus Underground)
Columbus based Sports Teams
Best-Known College Team: The Ohio State Buckeyes – Football
Professional Sports Teams:
- Blue Jackets – Ice Hockey – Nationwide Arena
- Clippers – Baseball – Huntington Park
- Columbus Crew – Soccer – Mapfre Stadium