Here is an overview of what happened in 2018 and how you can become a part of these programs! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and to volunteer.. Click here to view the document as a PDF: 2018 Programs
- March 2018 – Ezé Wendtoin, a musician from Burkina Faso, living in Dresden and enrolled at Technical University Dresden, is visiting Columbus and conducting workshops and performing pop-up concerts. Meet Ezé on March 21 at our Dresden Stammtisch. More information can be found at https://u.osu.edu/ezewendtoin/
- March / April 2018 – Individual High School Student Exchange (3 + 3 students) between Columbus School for Girls and Kreuzgymnasium Dresden
- March – November 2018 – Artist Residency Program (Greater Columbus Arts Council and Saxony State Ministry of Arts and Sciences) – 2 Columbus and 2 Saxony artists have been selected to spend 2-3 month residencies in the respective sister city (Dresden / Columbus) – Attend the GCAC Welcome Receptions for Leipzig artists Anna Baranowski (June 26) and Anna Nero (September 12). Selected Columbus artists are Cody Heichel and Andrea Myers – Read the GCAC press release.
- June 2018 – DSCI Member Mark Fohl is bringing a photo exhibit with photographs by members of Westbridge Camera Club (Columbus) and Fotoklub Exakta (Dresden) to Columbus. Details to follow.
- June 29 – July 1, 2018 – 150th Anniversary of the City of Dresden’s Fire Division – Invitation to Columbus Mayor Ginther to send two representatives of Columbus’ Fire Division to Dresden
- June – August 2018 – OSU Summer German Language Program in Dresden – annual program for undergraduate students – spending two months in Dresden studying the language and history and experiencing the culture. Follow their blog! – Here is a link to last year’s blog: https://u.osu.edu/dresdensummerlanguageprogram2017/
- September 2018 – STEM-career-related Columbus-Dresden Vocational Student Exchange Program – Part I: A group of 10-12 students from Berufsschulzentrum für Elektrotechnik Dresden visits Columbus for 8-10 days to explore their sister city and learn about career development programs in their field (electrical engineering and IT) at Columbus State Community College and industry partners’ facilities. A return visit is planned for fall 2019.
- September – November 2018 – Columbus Museum of Art has a loan from the Saxon Art Gallery Dresden on Display: Titian’s Lady in White. Details to follow.
- October 18 – 23, 2018 – Columbus – Dresden Marathon Exchange! The Columbus and the Dresden Marathon events coincide again this year on October 21. Five runners from each city are selected to represent their city in their sister city’s race.
- November 13, 2018 – Our Annual Membership Drive! Renew your membership and support our cause!
- Third Tuesday of Every Month: Dresden Stammtisch – social gathering – free and open to the public!
Columbus – Dresden Exchange Programs by Category
- Educational Programs:
- High school student exchanges, college and university student exchanges
- Annual The Ohio State University Summer German Language Program in Dresden (since 1997) – Read the students’ blog here: https://u.osu.edu/dresdensummerlanguageprogram2017/
- Academic Programs:
- In the areas of urban planning, medicine, cartography, and others
- Art Programs:
- Annual Artist Exchange Program sponsored by the Greater Columbus Arts Council and the State of Saxony (since 1995) – Click here for the GCAC press release about the 2018 Grant Recipients
- Annual Artist Exchange Program sponsored by the Ohio Arts Council / Zygote Press (Cleveland, Ohio) and the City of Dresden / Grafikwerkstatt Dresden (since 1998) – Find further information here
- Breath of Life/ Dresden Light Installation by artist Stuart Williams in Dresden to commemorate the 70th anniversary of Dresden’s bombing (2015) – Find more information on the artist’s website
- Annual Photography Exchange / Contest between Dresden and Columbus camera clubs (since 2005)
- Athletic Programs
- Annual Columbus – Dresden Marathon Exchange (since 2012)
- Choir partnerships between Columbus Maennerchor and Sächsischer Bergsteigerchor, and between Germania Singing and Sports Society and Dresdner Polizeichor
- Numerous performances of musicians, groups and choirs in each sister city
- Youth Theatre Program (2009)
- Striezelmarkt Columbus (1999, 2000, 2002)
…. just to name a few!